Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A word about cheese

My favourite way to read is with a good, soft cheese and wafer-thin crackers. No wine necessary.

Cheese is one of life's little indulgences, the kind we can afford but still think of as decadent. It makes the reading experience richer, it turns what I'm reading into a piece of culture. Eating cheese reminds me to savour what I'm reading.

I especially love eating cheese whilst reading philosophy. It reminds me that I am not just reading my homework, I am reading great and fascinating works, pieces that have shaped the world. Cheese is that kind of thing. It's impossible to eat it and feel begrudging at the same time.

Yes, cheese can do all that.

1 comment:

  1. we never did get to finish our conversation about cheese the other day at work. must remember to do so next week ;) i think we're possibly working the death shift together. how fun. *note slight sarcasm*

    ReplyDelete