Wednesday, October 28, 2009

These are a Few of My Favourite Characters

I’m a bit baffled to see Harry Potter at the top of the list of UK children’s favourite book characters. Seriously, Harry? Hermione, sure. Ron, even. The Weasley twins, Hagrid, Luna. But not Harry. He’s such a whiney ass.

I was, however, quite pleased to see Charlie and Lola in the list.

You can see the whole list here.


Anyway, it got me thinking. Who are my favourite characters?

1. Emily Byrd Starr – the Emily series, L.M. Montgomery
2. Nuuskamuikkunen (pictured) – Moomintroll books, Tove Jansson
3. Inigo Montoya – The Princess Bride, William Goldman
4. Fitzwilliam Darcy – Pride & Prejudice, the divine Ms. Austen
5. Peregrin “Pippin” Took – The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
6. Althea Vestrit – The Liveship Traders trilogy, Robin Hobb
7. Wintrow Vestrit – The Liveship Traders trilogy, Robin Hobb
8. Professor McGonagall – The Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling
9. Mr. Bennet – Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen
10. Mr. Carpenter – the Emily series, L.M. Montgomery

I wonder if it says anything about me that only three of my ten are female? Narrowly missing the cut are Teddy Kent, also from L.M. Montgomery’s Emily series, and Maurice, the streetwise, smart-talking alley cat from Terry Pratchett’s The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

It's also interesting that a few of my favourite characters are from books that wouldn't even rate in my favourite books/series (e.g. Harry Potter), whilst other books which I adore (e.g. The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis) don't have any especially endearing (to me, anyway) characters.

Please leave your own lists in the comments section- I’d love to see them!

8 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh!
    1. Holden Caulfield - Catch in the Rye, J.D. Salinger.
    2. Scout Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
    3. Dominic Birdsey - I know this much is true, Wally Lamb
    4. Odd Thomas - Odd Thomas series, Dean Koontz
    5. Grace Maclean - The Horse Whisperer, Nicholas Evans
    6. Pippin Took - The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein
    7. Fish Lamb - Cloudstreet, Tim Winton
    8. Jonah Griggs - On the Jellicoe Road, Melina Marchetta
    9. Rose Darlen - The Girls, Lori Lansens
    10. Fred & George Weasley - Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just my (most) favorite from the Robin Hobb and George RR Martin books:

    Robin Hobb:

    Kettricken
    The Fool
    Nighteyes
    FitzChivalry Farseer
    Althea, Wintrow and Malta Vestrit
    Kennit
    Etta

    George RR Martin:

    Arya and Brandon Stark
    Jon Snow
    Jaime and Tyrion Lannister
    Daenerys Targaryen
    Brienne of Tarth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I just realized that in my head fug I said Selden instead of Wintrow Vestrit. Edited now. =)

    Malta is a pretty awesome character too. And so are Fred and George Weasley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up all the names so I could remember the spelling lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Limiting myself to one character per author (else, it would all be Tolkien!):

    1)Maeglin - The Silmarillion, JRR Tolkien
    2)Orlando - Orlando, Virginia Woolf
    3)Grace Marks - Alias Grace, Margaret Atwood
    4)Adrian - Of a boy, Sonya Hartnett
    5)Miu - Sputnik Sweetheart, Haruki Murakami
    6)Snape - Harry Potter, JK Rowling
    7)Heathcliff - Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
    8)Armand - Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice
    9)Unnamed narrator - Candy, Luke Davies
    10)Helen Rainier/Paula Smith - Random Harvest, James Hilton

    -- Steph S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asterix - Goscinny and Uderzo.
    Calvin - Bill Waterson
    Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Winnie the Pooh - A. A. Milne

    Do comic characters even count?
    It's interesting that all four characters are from stories I first read at an early age ... I don't think I have such identification with characters now...

    Ben H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course comic characters count!!!

    I'm rediscovering my love for comics. In spite of the common myth that books with pictures are 'easier' to read, I've actually made a decision recently to read more comic books and graphic novels to challenge myself.

    I'm trained in reading text; pictures are more challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh great! If only I could draw...

    I never really appreciated superhero comic books, but I loved Asterix and Tintin.

    Have you read Maus by Art Spiegelman? Its pretty amazing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

    ReplyDelete