Monday, February 15, 2010

Buying a better way

Something that matters a lot to me is finding a better way to buy. It's important to me to find fair trade or single origin (easily traced and therefore usually ethically sourced) coffee and chocolate. It's important for to me to buy clothes and jewelry that weren't made using sweat shops or other forms of exploitation.

The publishing industry is one in which large corporations make a lot of money and small, independent publishers struggle to make ends meet. It is a very old industry, currently in flux due to the rise of e-books and online giants such as Amazon. It is my belief Amazon has consistently put its own needs above those of readers and publishers, and furthermore has used its clout to bully publishers into submitting to this. For a brief list of controversies surrounding Amazon, see this.

Monopoly of an industry by a single online giant is good for nobody.

There is, however, a little-known Australian online retailer of books, fishpond. If future, if you want to buy books I've mentioned, I'll link you there.

Most of my readers are Australian, and so will benefit from free shipping for orders over $49, book prices listed in Australian dollars, and a guarantee that ordering from fishpond will cost Australian customers less than ordering from Amazon.

Furthermore, my conscience will be clear because I'll know that I've linked you to a site that respects the needs of publishers, authors and readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment