Saturday, January 9, 2010

And now for a complete contradiction...


Above is the cover of a book I am currently reading. It's a book about economics, not a strength of mine, so I'm struggling a little to keep up. But so far, the gist is this: while we view the world as if value and price were roughly equivalent, they actually aren't. 'Price' is a highly artificial construct, and to move forward responsibly, we need to recognise it as such. So far, so good.

You can read more about the book here, and a review written by someone who does understand economics can be found here.

Meanwhile, I'm also reading the book shown below, a chronicle of just some of the 3000 vintage fashion pieces inherited by author Charlotte Smith. Each double page depicts a gorgeous illustration of the dress (or other item of clothing) in question, alongside a charming story about the adventures of a woman who once wore it.

You can find out more about the book here and read the author’s blog here.

My dad would laugh and call me a ‘good little consumer’ (style is my guilty passion), but I truly identify with the attitude Dreaming of Dior takes to clothes. There is something about wearing clothes you love which transcends the desire to cover yourself and/or look attractive.

Clothes become part of your identity. They say things about you that you would never dare to say aloud. They remind you of the wonderful times you’ve had in them. They add beauty and colour to an ordinary day. Getting dressed in the morning is an opportunity to centre myself, to begin the day as the person I want to be.

In spite of that, the better part of me knows that Patel is right. I have too many clothes.



No comments:

Post a Comment