Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Graceling- a review

Graceling is a curiosity. The first few chapters were rather disappointing in their clichés, the flatness of the characters, the lack of original plot. I usually refuse to finish a book I’m not enjoying, but for some reason I stuck with this one. I was richly rewarded.

Graceling is author Kristin Cashore’s first novel, and simultaneously suffers the marks of inexperience whilst being an exceptional first novel.

This is what I will say of the first few chapters: the story is set in a rather typical medieval fantasy world with seven kingdoms and (surprise surprise) a few kings grappling for more power. The protagonist is Katsa, a feisty, bad-tempered girl who happens to have a supernatural knack (a ‘Grace’) for killing. Aside from her killing Grace, Katsa could be lifted straight out of a Tamora Pierce novel; she’s exactly that kind of hot blooded, strong young woman.

Katsa is the king’s niece, and the king uses her to punish his enemies. I couldn’t help thinking of Assassin’s Apprentice, a brilliant book by Robin Hobb in which FitzChivalry, nephew of the king, works as the king’s assassin. (Actually, the entire plot in Graceling felt like a chick-lit version of Robin Hobb’s bestselling series.)

To begin with, Katsa has an ethical maturity and a petulance which are at odds with each other. She goes about secretly working towards peace and justice, but she’s unlikable because in all of her personal relationships she behaves like a petulant child. Unfortunately this doesn’t create a ‘flawed character’ so much as an implausible one. The plot is also quite loosely woven and un-engaging, at this point.

Then Katsa leaves Randa City, embarks on a quest, and immediately transforms into a fiery, empowered, admirable woman working to solve a complex, intriguing mystery. The rest of the book had me captivated. I couldn’t put it down. I’ll admit that it’s not the most inspired fantasy I’ve ever read, but it was a gratifying ‘light’ read.

Cashore displays an enviable ability to create multifaceted and endearing characters. I won’t soon forget Katsa, Bitterblue or Po. The plot is strong, with enough tension and enough lightness to make for a compulsive and enjoyable novel. I can only wish that Cashore had rewritten the first third of the story to bring it up to the caliber of the rest.

I do recommend it. I also recommend that you read past the first few chapters before giving up.

1 comment:

  1. On what you said about looking past the 1st few chapters, I often stick with books all the way through, regardless of whether they feel like they will be bad or not. It's like watching a terrible movie and sticking around until the credits. Sometimes you actually do get involved with the story, but most of the time you don't! One series that I did give up on are the Dark Tower books by Stephen King. I did my best to look past the awful writing and awful characters, but I burned out halfway through the 5th.

    Have you read the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb yet Christina?

    ReplyDelete