Monday, September 28, 2009

A book of villainous tales


I am very much enjoying reading Troll's Eye View, a collection of fairy tales retold from the "villain's" perspective. My favourite story so far is ' The Boy Who Cried Wolf ' by Holly Black, because it's dark and so much fun to read. If I had kids, this is the kind of book I'd read to them.


Salon.com's ever-insightful Laura Miller did a write-up of the book here.


An interesting point highlighted by many of the stories in this book is that classic villains don't often get up to much evil-doing. Perhaps they're just misunderstood?

2 comments:

  1. I've found the link to that Hansel and Gretel story I was telling you about!
    Enjoy :)
    http://www.fictionpress.com/s/331830/1/Why_Not_Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your page via Facebook!

    This looks like a great book; I must check it out! I've always been fond of fairy tales and stories which are written from an atypical perspective, especially that of the 'villain'.

    One of my favourites is one that I found quite by accident in a second-hand book shop: "Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming" by Robert Sheckley and Roger Zelazny. It tells the story of a demon who comes to Earth to deliberately set up and destroy a Prince Charming-esque scenario. It's awesome. You might enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete