Thursday, September 9, 2010

On writing a thesis

At the risk of sounding like an (albeit extremely intermittent) broken record, I still don’t have internet. It is on its way though, so for blogging purposes, I’M BACK.

I’ll be honest with you. I haven’t read much in the last few months. A copy of Raymond Feist’s Magician has moved about in my home (bedside table, coffee table, desk) for the past two months, trying desperately to get my attention, and so far I’ve only read ten pages or so. I have read enough to appreciate Feist’s language and to know I’ll enjoy the book once I finally find the time to read it.

The reason I haven’t been reading is that I’ve been busy writing a minor thesis. The topic is truth in fiction. Which is not as grandiose as it sounds. The question is this: how do we know what is true within the world of a story? I’ve been focusing on two wonderful texts- William Goldman’s The Princess Bride and Angela Carter’s The Bloody Chamber.

I wrote about The Princess Bride here. I once promised to tell you about The Bloody Chamber, so I suppose it’s time to make good on that promise. The Bloody Chamber is a collection of short stories, most of which are re-imaginings of fairytales. Reading it takes a bit of effort. The language is incredibly rich- you won’t find any light-hearted entertainment here. What you will find instead: gothic themes, breathtaking imagery, magic, strong women, violence, sex, otherworldliness. Every story has a different pace and tone. It’s a beautiful book, and Carter’s storytelling is masterful.

Writing the thesis has been a lot of work, but I can’t help feeling I’m incredibly lucky. I get to write about the nature of fiction and Inigo Montoya and fairytales full-time. I love it, I truly do. This is how it came about: roughly a year ago, I walked into the office of an academic at my university and ventured my ideas for an Honours thesis. She asked if I had any texts in mind and I cautiously- very cautiously- said: “Well, I’m thinking I’d like to use The Princess Bride.” She actually took me seriously, and here I am.

This week, the same academic wrote on her blog:

‘I love working with fairy tales. So even on days when I'm tired and grouchy because I've been ploughing through marking and paperwork, there is a little voice in the back of my head, saying over and over again: "You have a career where you spend your time thinking about cats in boots, glass slippers, magic blue boxes, prince charming and falling stars."’

Those outside academia rarely think of academics as people who live and breathe their passion, who do what they do because they love it. Yet these are the traits I observe in the academics I see every day. And these are exactly the reasons I’ve decided to continue with philosophy. I adore it so much I couldn’t possibly give it up.

So, in summary, I’m sorry I don’t have any book reviews for you, I’ve been too busy revelling in my full-time occupation.

There really is joy in pursuing what one loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment